Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Why I Joined Weight Watchers

This is me at the end of May. This is the picture that shocked me. This is the picture that inspired me  to finally once and for all take charge of my life. This picture was the turning point.

I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. I was always the heavy girl in school. In Middle School, I was teased mercilessly. 


In college, I was overweight. Living in Boston and Providence I did a lot of walking to get around. I was able to keep my weight at a some what maintainable level,despite the fact that I was eating horribly in the dining hall. 


The real trouble came when I turned the big 3-0 ! My skin, body, and hair seemed to change overnight. I had dry skin, thinning hair, Hidradenitis Suppurativa and PCOS.  Hidradenitis Suppurativa causes huge lumps to form under your skin.  Mine usually were on my leg and under my arms. These lumps can be very painful and embarrassing. When they burst, foul smelling goo comes out. With the painful lump the idea of exercising and even moving was too much to deal with. 


Last summer, I was able to lose 21 lbs. just by cutting out soda. I replaced the soda with donuts. At least three times a week I would go to Kroger to get three donuts and a chocolate milk for breakfast. The cream filled long johns were my weakness. I soon regained the 21 lbs. plus a few more. 


I commute over an hour each way for work. After my morning classes, I would grab what ever fast food was the easiest to get. If I didn't have to get out of the car, all the better. After work, I would be so exhausted that I would take a nap. Sometimes, I would be so exhausted that I wouldn't even bother to get out of the car. A little nap in the parking lot.  One day I took over a four hour nap in the front seat of my car. A few neighbors came over to make sure I was still alive. How embarrassing. Yet, I still wasn't ready to change. 


My cycle of donut eating, fast food, sleeping, and vegging out on the couch wasn't bothering me. I was fine with it. I made excuses for all of my destructive health decisions. I couldn't exercise because my hidradenitis suppurative was acting up. I couldn't make healthy food choices because it was just too expensive. Excuses, excuses, excuses. 


Then I saw the picture that a friend posted on Facebook. I was mortified. I finally saw how I really looked. I finally got it. I realized that if I continued with this kind of lifestyle that I wouldn't be here much longer. I was letting my size stop me from doing things that I once loved. I was too embarrassed to be seen in public most of the time. Seeing that picture was the wake up call that I needed. 


One day at work a co-worker was talking about how she just joined Weight Watchers online and was really enjoying the program. That afternoon I sent a text message to my husband telling him that I wanted to join Weight Watchers. We did a little research and found that our health insurance offered discounts to join Weight Watchers. I also contacted my Doctor and requested a prescription for Weight Watchers. With a prescription, I am able to pay the fees using my health savings account. Everything was falling into place.


Two days after returning home from vacation I joined Weight Watchers. I am so glad I finally made this huge life decision. I know it will be a long road ahead. I am ready for the challenge.


Check back often as I document my journey of getting healthy and losing weight. 

3 comments:

  1. Proud of you Emily! We're all cheering you on! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled on your blog through Pinterest. I just started poking around in here and found this blog post. I have been searching for a name for the horrible bumps that I have. I have seen a dermatologist and my ob/gyn about them because mine are only in my pubic area. Thank you for sharing b/c now I have a name to put with it and can do more research. I have no doubt that weight loss and I think lower sugar are the keys to getting rid of this problem. I am wondering if you have seen an improvement since you started losing weight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tia,

      I had a really bad flare up just before I started Weight Watchers. My sores cleared up about a week after I started and haven't had any problems since.

      I'm not a doctor, but I feel that my weight loss has made a difference with my Hidradenitis Suppurativa. I hope I continue not to have any more flare ups.

      Summer and just around Christmas time seems to be when I have them the most. I think in the summer is because of the heat. My December flare ups seem to start when I increase my sugar intake due to the holiday.

      Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Emily

      Delete